USA: Oklahoma - Chicken Fried Steak

 


Beef steak cooked liked fried chicken. A food popular in several US states but originated in Oklahoma. What I've made is technically Country Fried Steak as we fried it in a pan rather than deep fried it. Either way, I'm looking forward to making it as I haven't eaten any Chicken Fried Steak since my last visit to America several years ago. It's usually eaten with a gravy, white gravy for Chicken Fried Steak and a brown gravy for Country Fried Steak. We decided to eat ours plain to properly taste it (I forgot all about gravy 😂).

Ingredients:

2 thin cut steaks
1/2 cup flour
salt & pepper
1 egg
a dash of milk
oil for frying


The steaks need to be tenderised. I don't have a meat mallet (is that what they're called?) to do this so I use a rolling pin and put the steaks into plastic bags to save on splattering my kitchen.


When you've given them a good bashing, you can make up the dipping bowls. One with egg and a dash of milk whisked together. Another with the flour, salt, pepper and any other seasonings you like. I used a bit of cayenne to spice things up.


Dip the steaks in the flour, then egg and then the flour again. Leave on a plate until the oil is nice and hot in a frying pan (about 175 C). When the oil is ready fry the steaks for 5 minutes on each side.



Take out of the oil and drain on paper towels. We served ours with potato wedges, peas and sweetcorn but you could go with mashed potato and biscuits to make it a more authentically American meal.


We really enjoyed the steaks, the coating had stayed on well and the meat was nicely cooked, tender from my earlier violence with them. It's a simple recipe but one that tastes great. I might do chicken fried steaks again soon with some nice southern white gravy and mash. Yum!






Comments