Yemen - Ghurayba

These little Yemeni cookies go well with a cup of tea so I'm told. I'm looking forward to relaxing after I make them with a brew!

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
30g butter
1/2 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup icing sugar

I reduced the recipe to make less cookies but you could easily double it.



This is such a nice easy recipe too! 

Mix the sugar and flour in a bowl. 


Add the spices. Use powdered versions if you can get them. I had to crush my spices in a pestle and mortar then sieve the bigger grains out.


Put the oil and butter in a small pan. Let the butter melt into the oil and stir. Don't let it boil.


Add the melted butter/oil to the flour mix and stir well.


It'd be great here if you have a little mold to shape the cookies like they do in Yemen, with delicate patterns on the top. I just had to make little rounds with my hand and press them down slightly on the tray.


Cook in the oven for 15 minutes at 175 C. It was perfect timing. They were just starting to brown as the timer went.


These tiny cookies were a revelation! So good! They were perfectly spiced with the cloves giving a warming feeling in the mouth and a citrus vibe from the cardamom. They were crumbly and melted in my mouth. I'd made a small batch of the cookies because I didn't think Val and Erin would like them but we were all left wanting more. Luckily they're easy to make so I can stock back up. Well worth a try for your tea break!

Next week - Z is for Zambia

Comments