Netherlands - Appletaart

This is a brave move for me. Appletaart seems very similar to Apple Pie and I haven't eaten that in years. When I was a child we had an apple tree in our garden and we ate apple pie often. Not just apple pie either, we also ate apple cake, apple crumble, stewed apples, apple surprise...well you get it. It lost it's appeal about 1988 and I've never chosen to make it since. But I'm a grown up now, I can handle it. Bring it on!



Ingredients:

1 package shortcrust pastry
2 pounds tart green apples
1/2 cup sultanas
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon


Nice easy recipe! Roll out the pastry and line your tart dish.


Peel and slice the apples.


Add in the cinnamon, sugar and sultanas.


Mix everything together and tip into the tart dish.


Use any leftover pastry to make a lattice on top of the filling. If you have an egg you can use eggwash on top of the tart.


Bake at 175 C for 60 minutes.


It fell apart when I tried to slice it up so you get a picture of it in one piece instead! Despite it's appearance once served it was delicious! It was nicely sweetened by the sugar and cinnamon with a lovely caramelised taste to the apple pieces. I'm still not keen on the texture of cooked apple but it was overall a nice food experience. JD and Erin didn't have any and it was left to leigh to polish it of with the aid of custard.

Comments