Lebanon - Chickpea Balila

Time for a recipe made with one of my favourite foods, chickpeas! I love how this recipe seems to be a chunkier version of hummus. Has to be a winner :)


Ingredients:

2 cans chickpeas
1 onion
4 tablespons lemon juice
1 cup vegetable stock
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
Parsley & Pine Nuts to garnish



Heat the oil in a pan and add the drained chickpeas. Add the garlic powder, cumin and salt. Stir well as the chickpeas saute.


After 3-4 minutes use a potato masher to smash about 1/3 of the chickpeas.


Add the vegetable stock and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the chickpeas are cooked.


Garnish with chopped parsley and pine nuts.


I wasn't prepared for how fresh and lemony this dish would be. You can't tell from the picture but the lower layer was more liquidy, combined and really delicious. If I made it again I'd smash more chickpeas to get that consistency throughout. I like how simple but tasty Lebanese food is. Their flavours all go so well together. Definitely a winner!

Comments