Japan - Miso Soup



Miso soup is a traditional Japanese soup made using Dashi stock and Miso Paste. The beauty of the recipe is that it's really versatile. You can add different vegetables depending on what you like (or have). Also seasonal vegetables are often used as well as contrasting colours and textures. I like that thoughtfulness about food ^_^

I decided to use potato, carrot and wakame (dried seaweed bought from Amazon). It gives a contrast in colours as well as a contrast between the potato/carrots and seaweed because root vegetables sink and seaweed floats. I also added pork to my miso soup which makes it Tonjiru (pork soup).




Ingredients:

500ml dashi stock
2 tablespoons miso paste
2 potatoes
2 carrots
1/2 pack wakame
1/2 block tofu
1 pork chop
spring onions


Slice the pork as thinly as you can (I used scissors) and saute it in a tablespoon of oil until cooked through.


Peel and slice the carrots and potatoes into small pieces. Add them to the pan and saute until partly cooked.


Make up the dashi stock and add it to the pan.


Simmer for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Then add the diced tofu, wakame, chopped spring onions and miso paste. Stir the miso paste well so it dissolves and blends with the stock. Simmer for a further 2 minutes but don't let the soup boil.


Spoon into bowls and enjoy!


Wakame is crazy, it's tiny pieces of dried seaweed that expand a lot in the soup. Use it sparingly! Haha. It's nice though, like green cabbage. I enjoyed the flavour of the soup, it's very warming and comforting somehow. I'm not sure I'll ever warm to tofu. It's a texture thing, it's too spongy. JD and I enjoyed the miso soup (JD more than me) but it's not something I'd want regularly.

Comments