Italy - Ravioli


Ravioli is one of my favourite Italian dishes but I've never made it myself. Erin got me a ravioli tray for my birthday this year so I'm all set to make it now! Excited much :D


Ingredients:

For the filling:

1 pack sausages
1 tub ricotta
2 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
1 teaspoon salt


For the dough:

7oz flour
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil



To make the filling start off by removing the skins from the sausages. Cook the sausages in a frying pan with some oil, breaking up the sausages as they cook.


Put all the other filling ingredients in a bowl.


When the sausage is cooked add it to the bowl and stir well. Use an immersion blender to make the filling almost smooth.


Put the filling in the fridge while you make the dough. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.


Mix the eggs and oil then slowly add it to the flour to form a dough.


Knead the dough for 2 minutes then cover it and leave to rest for 30 minutes. Split the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each one out to cover the ravioli tray.



Fill the ravioli tray with filling. I did a little much in mine this first time but it was still ok.


Put a second sheet of dough over the filling, sealing with a beaten egg. Cut along the sections and remove from the ravioli tray. Look, I made ravioli :D


Boil your raviolis in a pan of boiling water for 7 minutes and then layer up in an ovenproof dish with cheese and pasta sauce. Top with parmesan.


Bake for about 12 minutes at 200 C.



It was delicious even if I do say so myself (JD also said it). The sausage filling was a lovely flavour and a nice smooth texture. I think my pasta could've been a bit thinner if I'd had a pasta machine to work it properly but still it was a very nice meal enjoyed by both which is all you can ask for. It reminded me of my favourite restaurant in Harrogate years ago, an italian place called Pinnochio's. I almost always chose the baked ravioli there.


Comments