Denmark - Wienerbrød

There are lots of different varieties of Danish Pastries but this time I'm making Wienerbrød with custard. I really like custard pastries but the recipe looks a bit complicated so keep your fingers crossed they work out!

Ingredients:

  • 3 dl whole milk
  • 50g yeast
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 500g flour
  • 250g cold butter
  • 1 box custard 


 Put the milk and yeast together in a bowl.


Mix with a whisk until the yeast is dissolved and the milk is a bit frothy.


Add flour a bit at a time to make a dough.


Let the dough rest for 10 minutes and then roll it out on a floured surface. It wants to be about 1cm thick and roughly rectangle shaped.


Thinly slice the butter and spread it over 2/3 of the dough. There's not many pictures of this next part because my hands were really floury. Fold the empty third inwards over the middle third of butter dough. Now fold the left half over the right half. Turn the dough 90 degrees and roll it out to 1cm thick again. Go through the 1/3 folding process again. Turn 90 degrees again and fold for a third time.


Cut 3/4 inch horizontal strips to make each pastry. This is after I'd made about 10 pastries. Look at the mess I've made! Take a strip and wrap it around your fingers to make a vague rosette shape. I also made a little well in each one for the custard to go in.


Bake at 225 C for 10-15 minutes until starting to brown and the pastry is flaky.


Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before eating them.


These pastries looked great. I offered Erin one and she thought I'd bought them in a bakery. Leigh said they looked like roses. I love my children sometimes! I was a bit disappointed by the taste of the pastry. It wasn't quite sweet enough and was a bit dry in the mouthfuls with no custard. They looked tastier than they actually were. Which is the opposite of what I aim for, haha!

Comments