Denmark - Forloren Hare

This Danish meatloaf is called Forloren Hare (Mock Hare) but I'd rather eat this than hare anyday. I'm already a fan of American meatloaf so I'm interested to see how this compares.

Ingredients:

1 pack beef mince
1 pack pork mince
1 pack streaky bacon
2 eggs
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
salt & pepper


Mix the minces, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Squish it together with your hands until it's well combined. I forgot to take a picture of the mixture until after I'd started putting it in the loaf tin. Oops :)


Spray a loaf tin with oil and drape the bacon around the sides and ends so you can fold it over afterwards. Press down the meat mixture into the tin and then fold over the bacon to finish it off.


 Cook in the oven for about 40-50 minutes on 200 C.


I made the traditional gravy to go with this meatloaf. Using the juices from the meatloaf tin and adding flour, cream and redcurrant jelly.



The gravy was delicious, well worth making as it complements the meatloaf perfectly. The meatloaf was also delicious with the rødkål (recipe to follow!) side mixed in with each mouthful. JD and I really enjoyed it all and were sorry when we were too full to eat more. It was more solid than American meatloaf and quite different in taste too. No favourites here, we like them both :)

Comments