Cuba - Medianoche Bread

It's Cuba's turn for the limelight. I made Ropa Vieja back in January 2011 and I'm looking forward to trying more Cuban foods.

Starting with a bread recipe. I'm making this bread because I'm going to follow this recipe with a recipe for a Medianoche Sandwich. I can't buy these bread rolls so I'm making them fresh to make the sandwich more authentic.

Mediancohe is a sweet, eggy bread similar to the Jewish Challah bread.

Ingredients:

  • 1 package of dry active yeast
  • 2/3 cup white sugar divided
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup lard melted
  • 2 eggs plus 1 for egg wash
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups flour
 

Put the yeast, water and 3 tablespoons of sugar into a bowl or jug. Mix and leave for 10 minutes.


Whisk two eggs in a bowl until frothy.



Add the yeast mixture to the eggs then add the salt, rest of the sugar and the melted lard. Pour the lard in slowly whisking as you do so.


Pour the mixture into a stand mixer bowl and attach the dough hook. Tip in a cup of flour at a time and mix it in well at a medium speed.


When the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl it's got enough flour. Continue to knead for 5 minutes.


Put the dough in an oil sprayed bowl, cover and leave to double in size.



Punch the dough down then cut it into pieces to form the bread rolls. Cover again and leave to double in size.



Use a knife to make a slit in each roll. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 174 C for 20-30 minutes until done.



 

Look at those beauties! I've never been so proud of myself as when I took these bread rolls out of the oven. I've had limited success in the past with making bread by hand but these turned out great. I can't wait to try the Medianoche Sandwich now.




Comments

Post a Comment