Argentina - Alfajores

Since I finished my goal of making one food from every country in the world I've been thinking about re-doing some countries. It was really hard to pick just one food from some places as so much of their cuisine looked great.

I've decided to work my way through the alphabet making 3-5 foods from a country starting with each letter. These will be countries I want to try more foods from. I want to include drinks and desserts too where possible.

I'm starting with Argentina. Last time I made Empanadas so this time around I'm starting with a sweet food. Alfajores are lemon flavoured cookies with various fillings sandwiched between two of them. Wikipedia tells me that Argentina is the largest consumer of Alfajores worldwide. They sure do like 'em!

Ingredients:

  • 200g plain flour
  • 325g cornflour
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 225g unsalted butter
  • 150g sugar
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1 can caramel condensed milk
  • 50g desiccated coconut


Stir together the flour, cornflour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. 


Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add each egg yolk in turn making sure they are properly mixed in before the next one. Add the vanilla, lemon juice and zest. 


Mix together both mixtures to form a really crumbly dough. Roll it out using flour to stop it sticking if needed. Use a cutter to make medium sized rounds. 


Line oven trays with baking paper and line the rounds up 1cm apart. 


Bake at 180 C for 7-10 minutes. Take out of the oven when the biscuits are set but before they brown.


When they've cooled you can add the filling. A teaspoon of caramel condensed milk goes between two biscuits. Let the caramel squidge out of the sides a bit when you press them together. Now roll each biscuit in coconut. Finished.


These biscuits had a really unusual texture. The cornflour had made them incredibly crumbly and soft. Lemon and caramel go surprisingly nicely together. Leigh and Erin loved them so they were soon eaten. Easy to make but quite different from anything we've had before, I really enjoyed this recipe!

Comments