Soups of the World - Tantanmen

Or, Chile and Sesame Ramen Soup from Japan. I'm excited to make this soup because I've never had ramen soup before. I even bought some tobanjan (Japanese chile bean sauce) from Amazon for this recipe so I'm all set.


Ingredients:


3 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
8 spring onions
1 clove garlic
12 lb. ground pork
1 tbsp. tobanjan 
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
14 cup sesame paste
2 tsp.  salt
1 package ramen noodles


Chop up the spring onions and saute half in the sesame oil along with the chopped garlic clove.


Next add the ground pork and tobanjan. This gives off the most amazing smell I've ever smelled making food. It upped the anticipation of trying the soup a lot. :D


When the pork is cooked through you can add all the other ingredients (except the ramen and other half of the spring onions). Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.



Cook the ramen noodles according to the package instructions. 


Put some of the noodles in a bowl and spoon over the soup, top with some spring onion and eat.


Just as I expected, it was delicious! It has a very salty, savoury flavour I haven't tasted before which made me want to have more. Also it was funny having a soup you have to eat with a fork at first to get the noodles and then drink the broth part after. The spiced pork was lovely and gave a meaty depth to the soup. It was great. I loved it! ^_^

Comments