Malaysia - Fish Curry



I had trouble finding a recipe from Malaysia that I could get all the ingredients for. I had to cobble this recipe together a bit but I think it worked out ok.

Ingredients:

  • 1 jar Malaysian curry paste
  • 1/2 cup stock
  • 400 ml can coconut milk
  • 1 stem lemongrass
  • 600g butternut squash
  • 500 g fish fillets 
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sugar 



Put the coconut milk, stock and curry paste in a pan. I had no curry paste so I used a packet of Malaysian cooking sauce with some curry powder mixed into it and felt quite resourceful. Bring to the boil.


Chop up the butternut squash into large cubes and add it to the pan. I added a few carrots too since they needed using up. Add the lemongrass stalk at this point too. Simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are almost done.


 Cut up the fish and add it to the pan. Cook for a further 5 minutes.


Stir in the sugar and lemon juice then serve.


I really liked the butternut squash in this curry, it was a lovely soft texture and had taken on the flavours of the sauce perfectly. I should have used a firmer fish so it would've held in cube pieces but actually I really liked the flaked fish in the sauce that coated the vegetables. It was a tasty but quite mild curry compared to what we usually have.

Comments