Palau - Tama

Palau is an island country in the Pacific and part of the larger group Micronesia. I had terrible trouble trying to find a recipe from Palau so when I did find a blog called Palauan Homestyle Recipes I was pleased. It turns out the blog only has one entry but since I only need one recipe I snapped it up!

Ingredients:

4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

The recipe must make a vast amount of tama so alter it depending on how much you want to make. I quartered  the recipe and it made about 8.


 Mix the eggs (or egg in my case), milk and vanilla.


Sift (funny word that) in the flour, sugar (never sifted sugar before O_o), baking powder and salt. Then mix it well to form a batter.



 Deep fry spoonfuls of batter in hot oil until browned and crispy on the outside.


Drain on paper towels then eat still hot.


 Remember you have to take pictures for your blog and quickly put a few on a fancy plate.



My tama were more oddly shaped than the perfectly spherical tama pictures I've seen. I found the batter too thick (or too something anyway) to work with so I ended up with some funny shaped ones. They were delicious whatever their shape! Nicely sweet with a really awesome crunchy deep fried crispy outer layer. Inside the dough was soft and spongy. Very nice!

Comments