Marshall Islands - Macadamia Nut Pie

The Marshall Islands are a group of atolls in the Pacific Ocean close to the Equator. The country is made up of over 1000 islands.

My Dad and Step-mum were coming over for tea last night so I chose this pie to serve as dessert. I hope they like it! :)

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 cups macadamia nuts
1/2 cup grated coconut
5 eggs
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Mix the butter, icing sugar and salt together. This is much easier to do with softened butter left out of the fridge for a while first. Add one egg and mix well. Next add the flour to form a dough. This didn't happen properly for me so I had to keep adding flour until I had a decent dough.



Put the dough in the fridge to cool. Lay out the nuts on an oven tray and then toast at 150C for 10 minutes. They smell great when you take them out.


After about an hour when the dough has cooled, roll it out and fill a pie dish to form the pie crust. This was also difficult as the dough kept breaking apart and I ended up with a patchwork Frankenstein type pie crust.


Press the coconut into the pie crust.


Time to make the filling. Mix the eggs and sugar.


 Next mix in the vanilla and syrup. Combine it really well and then pour it into the pie dish.



Now for the macadamias. Arrange them in the pie dish until there aren't many spaces left.


Bake at 175C for 15 minutes and then 30 minutes at 150C. I had to cover the pie with foil after the first 10 minutes so it wouldn't burn so keep an eye on your pie to see if you need to do the same.


We had our pie still warm with ice cream.


It was really nice. The recipe I used could've ended in disaster several times but it came good in the end. Everyone enjoyed it even Erin finished hers off and she's not usually a dessert person. The pie was soft and sweet inside with a nice crunch from the nuts on top. I found the pie crust a bit dry but having it with ice cream solved that problem.  It was my first time eating Macadamia nuts and I like them. Kind of like brazil nuts but softer. There's enough nuts left to make JD some cookies with them so he's happy.

    Comments