Mongolia - Mongolian Beef

Yet again a terrible series of events tried to work against the Mongolian entry for this blog. I researched a food for Mongolia last week. Admittedly I was in a rush because I was looking up a recipe right when I was doing an online grocery shop and had a time limit to keep the delivery slot I wanted.

Followed by a busy week where I didn't even look at the recipe to check I had everything I needed.

This morning I set off for work (my first day) and I wouldn't be home until 5.30pm. JD was going to get the food started for me and take some pictures. My bus was late on the way back and I didn't get in until the food was done and almost ready to serve. JD had done a great job of making the food and a not so great job of taking pictures. He did take some though and I've very grateful!!

I looked at the recipe open on my Kobo on the kitchen counter and my eyes zoomed in on the words:

"Despite its name, Mongolian beef doesn’t come from Mongolian cuisine at all but is rather another Chinese-American dish."

Argh!!

So I had a horrible dilemma. Either offend the whole of Mongolia by using an American dish to represent their (I imagine) delicious cuisine and possibly starting a war OR make JD feel slightly unappreciated by not using the food/pictures he had so kindly made/taken for me.

Sorry Mongolia!


Ingredients:

1 lb steak
¼ cup cornflour
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon garlic 

 ½ cup soy sauce
½ cup water
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 spring onions

 1 medium onion 



 Toss the sliced steak in the cornflour and let it sit for 10 minutes. Saute the steak in the oil and then remove from the pan. Chop the onion, ginger, garlic and spring onions then saute them in the pan. Add the beef again.


 Add the other ingredients to make the sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit.


 Serve with rice.


The result of JD's efforts was some really delicious Chinese food. We really enjoyed it. The garlic and ginger especially added to the sauce's flavour to make it really tasty. Good job JD ^_^

I feel very lucky to have such a great husband who will make my blog food for me because he knows I'll be tired after work  xoxox





Comments