Canada - Poutine





It's the turn of Canada this week and although I was tempted by several recipes it seems Poutine is the thing to try. Especially since my gravy success of last week (I tried a French Dip sandwich).

Getting the cheese curds wasn't easy but we found a small independent cheese shop that sold them.

Ingredients:

4-6 potatoes
Cheese curds
Beef stock
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of butter
Salt & pepper
Oil for frying


I was disappointed with the cheese curds we got because most pictures of poutine I've seen uses big pieces and ours was all crumbled in small pieces.


 Cut up the onion and garlic then saute in a bit of oil.


 Make up 1 litre of stock.


 Add the butter to the onion/garlic pan and when it's melted stir in the flour to make a roux.


 Gradually add the stock, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper stirring well to make a smooth gravy.


 Cut up the potatoes to make chips/fries. Soaking them in cold water for an hour makes for crispier fries later.


 Deep fry the potatoes until golden brown.


 Sprinkle generously with the cheese curds.


 Cover in gravy. It's done. \o/


The gravy was delicious. I've never made gravy like this before, it was very thick and substantial. It coated the fries really well. It tasted quite spicy which went perfectly with the creamy melting cheese curds. I was pleasantly surprised by this dish and I can see why it's so popular in Canada. I think I'm a convert to gravy on chips at last. JD loved the gravy and once all the fries were gone he ate it on bread then just from the wooden spoon. The gravy recipe makes loads of gravy, too much really so I'd halve it if I made it again. Which I probably will.


Comments