Angola - Corn & Marigold Fritters


 Things don't always go as planned. As Outkast so wisely prophesised 'You can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weather'. Last week I planned that today we would eat Corn & Marigold Fritters. That did not happen. We did eat some quite tasty corn mush though and this is the story of how that happened.

Ingredients:

8oz sweetcorn
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Onion granules
Salt & pepper
Marigold petals
4 tablespoons double cream
Oil for frying




 This seems like a nice easy recipe...just assemble all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Oh wait, marigold petals cannot be found in the whole of Harrogate so we'll have to leave them out. Guess we'll just be having Corn Fritters.


Spoon the mixture into some hot oil to fry.


 Watch in horror as the corn burns and sticks to the pan. Lament ever wanting corn fritters while they break apart and form a mush in the bottom of the pan. Consider googling a nice pretty picture of corn fritters gently frying but then think fuck it and just mentally change the name to Corn Mush instead.


 Spoon the somewhat oily mush into a bowl with kitchen roll.


 We ate ours with a pork chop and delicately hewn bread.



I really enjoyed the corn mush. Granted it wasn't what we originally meant to eat today but we're nothing if not flexible when it comes to food. I feel Angola have been cheated a bit by this blog entry due to my lack of planning and enthusiasm when frying the fritters. I had just got home 20 minutes before from my new job where I'd been stood up for 8 hours. I'm sorry Angola, I have nothing but lame excuses :(

Despite it's appearance JD and I both enjoyed the corn and felt sure if it'd been formed in perfect fritter shapes it would've been a lovely dish.

Coming next week: Who knows, now I have a tiring job I may never blog again :D

Comments