Kosovo - Zeljanica


Woot, Day 7 is here and it's just me and JD sampling today's fare. We're having Keljanica which is a spinach and cheese pie. Yum :)

Ingredients:

1 package feta
1/2 big tub of greek yoghurt
2 eggs, separated
2 big handfuls of spinach
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
salt and pepper
1 package filo pastry
oil


 Combine the feta, chopped spinach, yoghurt, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl.


 Separate the eggs, stir in the yolks then beat the whites until soft peaks and stir those in too.


 Grease a baking tin and layer the filo pastry on the bottom (about 3-4 sheets as a base) brushing with oil on each layer. Add half the mixture then another layer of filo. Do this again finishing with a layer of filo on top.


 Drizzle the cream on the top and then bake in the oven at 190C for 45 minutes until browned.




I really enjoyed this pie, but then I do love feta cheese quite a bit. It was salty, crispy and creamy all in one bite. JD said it would've been better firmer and it was a bit liquidier (I know that's not a word) than I thought it would be. It'd be better to not add the milk I think and use more yoghurt instead. It was a nice filling pie though and I'd have it again since it was so easy to make. :)

Coming tomorrow: A rest :D xx

Comments