Liberia - Sweet Potato Pone

I love sweet potatoes so I was keen to give this recipe a try. :)

Ingredients:

3 sweet potatoes
1 cup molasses
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil


Grate the potatoes coarsely into a pan.


 Add the other ingredients. There's something creepily malevolent about molasses as it oozes down into the sweet potatoes!


 Stir together and simmer for about 10 minutes.


Transfer to a baking dish and cook on 162 C for 30 minutes. My recipe said it would firm up so it could be cut into squares but that didn't happen with mine.


We served it with slow-cooked gammon and bread rolls. Luckily I served it so that it wasn't touching anything else on my plate because it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten. The texture of it is lovely, almost like a chutney in it's thickness, but the taste made me cringe it was so awful. The molasses is such a strong flavour it overpowers everything else in this dish. I didn't get any of the fiery ginger that went into it either which was a shame. After two or three bites I couldn't eat any more and felt really disappointed it hadn't turned out better. Won't be trying it again!!

Comments

  1. I ate a full serving of this but it was awful - the last bite made me shiver.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment