Belarus - Draniki

It seems a lot of countries have their own versions of these potato pancakes. Belarusian ones use finely grated potato and include no flour for binding. We all love rostis and hash browns so I feel confident we'll enjoy these too!

Ingredients:

4 potatoes
1 onion
Salt & pepper
1 egg
Oil for frying
Sour Cream to serve


Grate the potatoes and onion on a fine grater. I suggest doing it into a bowl or something because it's really messy and watery finely grated.


 Next, try and get rid of most of the moisture in the grated potatoes and onion. I tipped out the excess and then pressed them with kitchen paper to soak it up.


 Mix up the grated stuff and add an egg. Season with salt and pepper then mix up well.


 Heat up some oil in a frying pan and add the grated mixture about a tablespoon at a time flattening it to form a pancake shape.


 Fry on either side for a few minutes until browned.


 Serve hot with some sour cream on top



I almost (almost) feel ashamed including this as a recipe because it's sooo easy to make. It's a valid Belarusian recipe though so no one can stop me :D Having the potato finely grated made for a really light, delicate pancake. Everyone enjoyed them, even the kids. They're usually not keen on onion (which is cause for humour in our house since one time Leigh was eating a curry I'd made and complaining there was onion in it. Then scoffed down 2 onion bahjis!!) but didn't even realise they had onion in them. I liked the sour cream on the draniki but JD preferred it on his peas. I also like how easy they are to make so I can see us having them again as a regular potato alternative.

Comments