Solomon Islands - Mango chicken with coconut milk

At my eldest daughter Leigh's school their groups are named after countries and hers is the Solomon Islands so she's been at me to do a food from there. I had a look around and decided on this recipe because I'm trying to eat foods out of my usual comfort zone and fruit with meat is definitely out of it. Also, the suggested side dish is mashed sweet potato and I love that :)

Ingredients:

2-3 chicken breasts
1 onion
1 mango
Coconut milk

Woo, only 4 ingredients \o/





Chop the onion and saute it in some oil



Cut the chicken up into bite-size pieces and add it to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until done.



Peel and slice the mango then add it to the pan.




Finally, add a third of a can of coconut milk, stir and then remove from the heat..


 Serve with mashed sweet potatoes.


The taste of this dish was really different. The coconut milk made a nice, creamy sauce for the chicken and also went well with the sweet potatoes. I'm not sure the mango really added much to the overall flavour but the occasional bite of sweetness wasn't unpleasant. I'll definitely consider using coconut milk as a sauce again. This dish was greeted by the kids with suspicion. Leigh enjoyed the sweet potato and chicken and Erin eventually tried the chicken and ate it even though it was coated with coconut milk. I'm still not convinced fruit with meat is a good thing!

Comments

  1. But what do you do with the other 2/3 of the coconut milk? :o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment