Ireland - Colcannon Patties

I've never tried colcannon but it's main ingredient is mashed potato so I'm guessing I'll love it! I've also never tried kale. I've read it's one of those super-foods with all kinds of health benefits. In fact Dr Joel Furhman says it's the most nutritious vegetable in the world. Gosh, impressive :p

Ingredients:

* Kale
* Potatoes
* Milk
* Salt and pepper
* Onion
* Oil
* Butter



First peel and chop up your potatoes. (I expect you'll use some nice fluffy good for mashing potatoes and not some unused new potatoes I've had lurking around for a while). Put them in a pan with boiling water and a pinch of salt and cook until soft.



While the potato is cooking, chop up the onion and caramalize it in a knob (snigger) of butter.



When the potato is cooked, remove from the water and place in a bowl. Chop up the kale (which smells foul by the way) and add to the potato water. Cook for about 5 minutes.



Add two tablespoons of milk, salt and pepper to the potato and mash it to within an inch of it's life.



Add the kale and onions.



Mix it all together. Ta-da, you've got some colcannon! (Very delicious just as it is, I had a small taste for science >.>)



Heat some oil in a pan and fry small patties of the colcannon until browned and crispy on the outside. Drain on some kitchen paper.



Place in a bowl and eat.



They're very good with some tomato sauce!



Mmm, these tasted way more delicious than they look. The caramelized onion in the mashed potato was especially good. I enjoyed the kale too, it was slightly crispy where it'd been fried and nicely chewy otherwise. I'll try eating it some different ways too after this and feel smug about how healthy I am. Very nice ^_^

Comments