Haiti - Black beans and rice

I'm looking forward to making this dish because I'm usually wary of using dried beans to cook with. They seem time consuming with their need to be soaked for hours. I've only had black beans in chinese food so I'm not sure of their individual flavour. I love how glossy and black they look!
  • 2 cups of black turtle beans
  • 2 cups of basmati ricet
  • 1 onion
  • garlic powder
  • cloves
  • black pepper
  • salt
  • parsley
Boil the beans in 6 cups of water for two minutes then leave them for 1 1/2 hours to soak. Set them aside.
Saute the chopped onion in some oil.
Stir in the beans. Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, crushed cloves and black pepper. Stir again.
Add 5 more cups of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for an hour and then add the rice. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the rice is cooked and then serve with some chopped parsley on top.
It was really delicious. I enjoyed how shiny black the beans looked after they'd been soaked. The whole dish was spicy and tasty. I had to substitute microwave rice for regular basmati after a shopping mix up but it still came out great. I'll definitely be looking out for more recipes for black beans! Soaking the beans does seem like a hassle when you want to make a quick meal but it can easily be done with a bit of planning. Hurrah for black beans ^_^

Comments