France - Gougères

I wanted to make something cheap this week since I'm a bit low on funds so I looked around and found these French cheese puffs. I only had to buy some Gruyere and I had everything else in stock. Woo! Plus, they look really tasty and like something my kids would enjoy too.

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup of water
* 3 tbls of butter
* 1/4 tsp of salt
* pinch of chilli powder
* 1/2 cup of flour
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup of grated Gruyere



Heat the butter, water, salt and chilli powder in a small pan.



When the butter has melted, stir well and add the flour. Stir until the mixture is a smooth ball with none stuck to the sides of the pan.



Rest for 2 minutes so it cools a bit and then add the eggs and stir quickly until it's smooth again.



Add 3/4 of the cheese and stir in. Put the mixture in a piping bag and pipe balls onto a lined oven tray.



Use the remaining cheese to sprinkle on the top of each ball. Erin helped me by doing this!





Bake for 10 minutes on Gas Mark 7 and then 25 minutes on Gas Mark 5.



Serve and eat while still warm!



I was a bit disappointed mine didn't puff up very well but the taste more than made up for that. They're delicious! The outside is nice and crispy with the melted cheese and the inside is soft and light. Yum!

Comments