Trinidad & Tobago - Ginger Beer

I love Ginger Beer so I'm keen to see how making my own works out. In Trinidad & Tobago it's thought of as a Christmas time drink but spring time seems a good time to me too!

Ingredients:

* Root ginger
* 2 tbls lime juice
* 1 cup of brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp nutmeg
* 1 tsp vanilla essence
* mint



Coarsely grate the ginger and place in a jug with the lime juice, vanilla, nutmeg and half the sugar. Add boiling water and stir until the sugar dissolves.



Let cool to room temperature and then cover tightly. Put in the fridge for 1 week.



After the week is up the mixture needs to be strained. I used a piece of kitchen paper in a sieve.



Once strained you can add more sugar if you like to sweeten it to your taste.



Serve in a glass with ice and a sprig of mint.



It was fantastic! It was really refreshing but with a nice gingery warming aftertaste. The mint mixed with the drink as I drank it to add a nice fresh, minty element too. It's easy enough to make often and I'm sure I will during the summer. My Mum enjoyed a glass also!

Comments