Somalia - Shaah Adays

Shaah Adays is a spiced tea common in Somalia.

Ingredients:

* 2 cups of water
* 2 cups of milk
* 4 black tea bags or leaves
* sugar to taste
* 5 cloves
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp of black pepper
* 5 cardamon pods



Put all the spices in a mortar and pestle and crush them together.



Combine the water, milk, sugar and spices in a pan and bring to the boil.



When the liquid is boiling, add the tea and continue to boil for 2 minutes.



Strain the liquid into a glass and drink hot.



I really didn't want to try this, some of the tea was floating around in the drink and it smelled weirdly spicy. I did though and it was surprisingly delicious. It was smooth and warm with a spicy peppery after taste that warmed my mouth. I couldn't drink much of it but it was a lot nicer than I expected.

Comments