Italian Cities: Venice - Fregolotta

 

This crumbly almond cake is truly the most unusual thing I've ever made. The method was unpleasant but I'm hoping the outcome will be worth it. Haha 😀


Ingredients:


250g flour

75g sugar

1 pinch salt

125ml double cream

30g whole almonds


Preheat your oven to 140 C. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.

Stir in the sugar and salt.


Grease a dish with butter ready for the fregolotta crumbs.


Here comes the weird part! Dip your fingers in the cream and then rub in the flour to form small crumbs. Drop these crumbs into the greased dish.


This was much easier said than done. Of course the crumbs stick to your wet fingers and as you progress the crumbs get bigger and bigger until I look like I have sausage fingers. It was really horrible to do and I couldn't take a picture either, with my sticky gross fingers. I eventually worked the crumbs off my fingers and into the dish but they were much bigger than they were meant to be.


Press down the 'crumbs' gently and then press in the almonds all around the dish.


Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.


Leave to cool and then cut into slices to eat with tea or coffee.



Valindor particularly enjoyed this one and ate several slices. It was crumbly with the almonds giving a nice crunchy texture with each mouthful. The flavour was a bit disappointing, a bit too subtle for me. I'm glad to have tried it though and it does go nicely with a cup of tea.


Comments