Italian Cities: Messina - Truscello

 


This ricotta meatball bake sounds just the kind of dish JD and I will enjoy for tea. It's ingredients include Grana Padano, another cheese I've never used before.


Ingredients:

12 oz minced beef

4oz Grana Padano

12oz ricotta

4oz breadcrumbs

5 eggs

salt & pepper

dried parsley

pinch of ground cloves


Start by putting the minced beef, 1 oz cheese, breadcrumbs, 2 eggs, parsley, salt & pepper in a large bowl.

With your hands, combine the ingredients well.


Grease an oven dish and roll the mixture into small teaspoon sized meatballs.


Next, mix the remaining ingredients, add salt & pepper to season and put in the fridge to firm up.



Bake the meatballs in the oven at 170 C for 10-12 minutes. Spread the ricotta mixture on top of the meatballs. I also added a bit more cheese on top. Bake in the oven at 170 C for 15-20 minutes until it is piping hot.




The ricotta topping had an unusual taste for me with the addition of cloves but I liked it. It was warming and very filling overall. The meatballs were small but very dense and meaty, with the grana padano giving them a lovely nutty flavour. It was a quick, simple dish to prepare, that was perfect to eat at this time of year when the nights are dark and cold.

That's it from me for this year. I'll be busy getting ready for Christmas in December but I'll be back in January to finish off my Italian exploration with more delicious dishes. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

Emma xx



Comments