Street Food - Filipino Lumpia


I had an absolute nightmare making these minced pork tubes! They turned out to be delicious anyway but I'm not sure the end justifies the terrible time I had. For a start I couldn't find any proper lumpia wrappers so had to make do with some translucent spring roll wrappers. Still, that would've been fine if I hadn't accidentally glued them all together!! 😕


Ingredients:

500g minced pork

1 onion

1 carrot

1-2 garlic cloves

1 small can water chestnuts

1 teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons oyster sauce

1 egg

1 package lumpia wrappers

oil for frying


Put all the filling ingredients in a bowl. 

Using your hands, mix together all the ingredients until they are well combined.

My next job was to soak the wrappers briefly in water to make them more pliable. For some reason I read this as boiling water and several seconds later all the wrappers had melded into one solid wrapper. I desperately tried to separate them with a knife and after scraping off the first few I managed to partially rescue about 6 wrappers from the middle that weren't quite glued as well. I quickly used these wrappers to roll up some of the filling.

After a bit of deep breathing, I heated the oil and started to fry the 'lumpia'. For a few minutes on each side as the recipe said. I did mine for a few minutes longer because mine were 'lumpier'. I'm a comic genius 😂

Sadly because of my panic there are no pictures of me wrapping the pork. In calmer times I might have serenely dipped my finger in a small bowl of water and meditatively stroked water along the edges of each wrapper to seal them up. None of this happened, I forgot the water and feel lucky all the filling didn't escape from the wrappers.

We had our lumpy lumpia with stir fried vegetables, noodles and some soy sauce to dip. More often on street food stalls they're sold just with some sweet chilli dipping sauce. 

It wasn't the best looking food I've ever made but it was tasty. I really enjoyed the lumpia dipped in the soy sauce. The contrast of flavours worked really well. This is one I'm unlikely to make again unless I can find proper wrappers. Let this be a cautionary tale about reading the instructions properly before you embark on making a new food. In an ideal world, the next time I eat these, someone else will have made them and I'll just buy and eat them!

Comments