USA: Wyoming - Elk Burgers

 


There were a few interesting foods I found that were popular in Wyoming. The most unusual being Rocky Mountain Oysters which are deep fried calf bull testicles. Luckily I have no way to buy those so I can choose another food. I decided to go for Elk Burgers as Elk meat along with Bison, Lamb and Steak are all popular meats in Wyoming. I had to get the Elk Burgers delivered from an online speciality butcher at considerable cost but I'm looking forward to trying a meat I haven't previously eaten.


Ingredients:

Elk burgers

Burger buns

2 slices bacon

2 slices cheese

Lettuce or spinach

Beef tomato

Mayo


There's not much to this recipe obviously. Just the cooking of the burgers in a pan (or by your usual method) and then adding your favourite burger toppings. 


Build up your burger in a bread bun and tuck in!



The Elk Burgers were really meaty and had a slightly different taste to beef but I'm not sure I could say what that difference was. The meat is slightly sweeter than beef I think. It has more protein and less fat so it's very tender. We enjoyed them anyway, especially with all the usual toppings we like. I don't think I'd buy them again as they're not so good that I'd pay extra for them. Still, it was nice to try something new.

Comments