USA: New Hampshire - Cider Doughnuts

 


I knew I wanted to try this recipe when I saw they were popular in New Hampshire. I'm quite the fan of cider so I'd love to try a cider doughnut for sure! I had to make some cider concentrate by reducing down some cider and this gave the house a lovely warm cider smell.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar (plus more for cinnamon sugar)

3 tablespoons butter

1 egg

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

1/2 cup cider concentrate

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus more for cinnamon sugar)

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


Cream together the sugar and butter.


Add the egg and whisk it in too.


Add the vanilla, buttermilk and cider concentrate and give a last good whisking.


Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg then gently fold to make a thick dough.



Heat some oil in a frying pan to about 2 inches deep. While it heats set out a bowl with a mix of sugar and cinnamon.


When the oil is hot, drop tablespoons of dough into the oil and fry for 3-5 minutes on each side, flattening the doughnut with a spatula as it fries.



Drain and place on kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil then dip in the cinnamon sugar.




We couldn't resist and ate these still warm. They were lovely and crisp on the outside and cake-y on the inside. There was a faint taste of cider but not very much. Still, they were delicious and if I'd made more they'd have been eaten too. I loved the crumbly texture of these doughnuts and combined with the cinnamon sugar it made for a messy treat, which is why I'm eating a doughnut with a fork like a posh person and not just using my hands to devour it :D

Comments