USA: Arkansas - Baked Beans

 


Arkansas baked beans are slow cooked in barbecue sauce among other things to give a thick, tasty sauce. JD loves American baked beans and he's always telling me how great they are with ham in so I'm looking forward to trying them for myself.


Ingredients:

3 cans baked beans

1 cup barbecue sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 onion, chopped

1 small ham joint (about 300g)

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg


I started off by cooking the ham in the slow cooker covered in water on HIGH for 5 hours. Then I removed the ham and all but 1 cup of the water. All the ingredients were stirred together in the slow cooker including the ham which I chopped into bite size pieces.


I cooked it further on HIGH for another 2 hours then left off the lid for it to thicken a bit for another hour. We usually turn off the slow cooker for 30-40 minutes before serving to let it cool enough to eat. We served the beans with some homemade cornbread muffins.

The ham in the baked beans was fantastic! I've always loved plain baked beans but these were something else. The meat added some texture to the beans as well as flavour which also came in abundance from the barbecue sauce in them. The sweet kick from the brown sugar gave a lovely caramelised flavour. I loved them, very tasty!

Comments