USA: Maryland - Crab Cakes

Maryland crabcakes are usually made with Chesapeake Bay blue crabs but of course I can't get those in the UK. So I've done my best to replicate them with crab I do have. They turned out pretty well, I think :)



Ingredients:

2 large eggs

2 1/2 tablespoons mayo

1 1/2 teaspoon mustard

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon paprika

1/4 cup celery

2 tablespoons parsley

1 pound crab meat

1/2 cup breadcrumbs


  • Put everything in a large bowl and mix well.



Scoop up handfuls of the mixture and form into cakes. You can make about 6 good sized patties.


Cover and place in the fridge for about an hour. Heat some oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the crab cakes until browned and crispy. 


Serve with tartar sauce.



These were the best fishcakes we've ever made. Whether it was them being crab or the stint in the fridge that did it, I don't know. Often when we make fishcakes they fall apart in the frying pan but these worked out perfectly. It's my first time eating crab and I liked it. The celery gave a bit of texture to the cakes which were otherwise quite soft and the paprika gave a nice colour as well a spiciness. Very nice!



Comments