Vietnam - Sweet Potato Pancakes

This recipe is a vegetarian version of bánh tôm which is a pancake made of shrimp and sweet potato. With the addition of carrot and onion they're a nice vegetable dish which I served with a soy sauce based dipping sauce. To make the recipe fully vegetarian you'd have to use a vegetarian fish sauce but it's doable. I'm making it this way because I don't like shrimp, not because I'm a vegetarian btw.

Ingredients:

2 sweet potatoes
2 carrots
1 onion
2 teaspoon fish sauce
3 tablespoons flour
1 egg
salt & pepper
mint for garnish
oil for frying



Grate the sweet potato and carrot, then using kitchen paper dry them off as much as possible.



Add the sliced onion, flour, egg, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well.





Shallow fry in oil until browned and crispy on both sides.



Remove onto kitchen paper to drain and serve with your dipping sauce and mint garnish.



JD and I very much enjoyed these pancakes for lunch with the dipping sauce. They were really crispy in texture with a lovely sweet/savoury flavour. It's messy to dip them but worth it. In Vietnam, a white sweet potato is more commonly used but I was unable to find any right now. I'd love to try them again in the future this way.

Comments