Russia - Slow Cooker Beef Borscht

Mmm, who doesn't love a hot bowl of soup in this cold weather? Russians certainly do! I love how Borscht looks with it's bright red colour contrasted with the addition of sour cream. But will I like how it tastes, let's find out.

Ingredients:

500g stewing beef
2 small onions
3-4 carrots
3-4 potatoes
1/2 small red cabbage
3-4 beetroot
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
800ml beef stock
sour cream to serve


Set your slow cooker to low and chop all the vegetables except the cabbage.



Add them to the slow cooker along with the beef and tomato paste.



Make up the beef stock and add that to the slow cooker too.



Give it a good stir, put the lid on and leave to cook for 6-8 hours on Low.


About 30 minutes before you want to eat the Borscht, chop up the cabbage and add it to the slow cooker. When the 30 minutes is finished, serve with sour cream and chopped parsley.


I loved the colour of this soup. It was a lovely rich, glossy red-brown. It looked really appetising when i served it, especially with the sour cream and parsley. Unfortunatly I didn't enjoy the taste of it at all. It had a sweet but also sour flavour which I usually like but this time I just didn't like it. What a shame! Is there anything worse than smelling a food all day as it slowly cooks but then not enjoying it when it's ready? I doubt it, answers on a postcard please! Beautiful Borscht, looks so good but not for me.

Comments