Japan - Curry Udon Noodles

In January of 2013 I made Okonomikaki (a savoury pancake made with cabbage and bacon) as the Japanese entry for my blog. I really enjoyed it so I'm excited to make more Japanese food.

I'm starting off with Curry Udon Noodles because I love noodles and I'd like to try some different kinds.

Ingredients:

Udon noodles
Japanese curry roux
1 potato
1 onion
1 carrot
Spring onions
2 tablespoons dashi powder


Chop the onion, carrot and potato into small cubes. Put in a pan and add 360ml of boiling water.


Also add the curry roux. About 4-6 blocks of it. Stir well as the blocks break up.


Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are softening.


A few minutes before the curry sauce is ready put the noodles in another pan with the dashi powder and 350ml of boiling water. The noodles are already cooked so they just need heating up in the stock.



When everything is ready you can assemble the soup. Place some noodles in a bowl and then pour over some of the stock. Top with the curry sauce and garnish with some chopped spring onions.


The Curry Udon Noodles were delicious but messy to eat. I was splashed in curry sauce by the end of the meal. JD and I both enjoyed the texture of the udon noodles, they're thicker than regular noodles but softer too. The curry sauce was the best part for me. It's mild in flavour but goes so well with the noodles.

Comments