Italy - Cannoli


Ever since watching The Sopranos many years ago, I've wanted to make cannoli. From the Italian for 'Little Tube'. I've bought it a few times but put off making it myself because it looks a bit complicated. Today is the day!


I bought some Cannoli forms from Amazon. I checked three different cookware shops in town first but nobody had them. So much for trying to shop local.

Ingredients:

For the dough:

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar

For the filling:

400g ricotta
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Decoration:

Have some sprinkly items to dip the ends of the cannoli in. I used coconut and chocolate chunks but you could use nuts, pomegranate seeds or whatever you like really.



Put all the dough ingredients in a bowl.


Mix them together.


Add a tablespoon of water at a time until it forms a dough.


Tip the dough onto a floured worktop and knead for 3-5 minutes.


Leave the dough to rest while you make the filling. Mix the ricotta with the sugar and whip until fluffy.


Put the filling in the fridge. Next we can make the cannoli tubes.


Take small pieces of dough and roll into a circle shape. Roll around the cannoli form and pinch closed. Do this for all the forms.


Place the cannoli in hot oil. Turn as they brown to give an even colour all over.


When they're browned all over remove to some kitchen paper to drain.


Leave the cannoli to cool for a few minutes and then carefully remove the cannoli forms. Leave to cool fully before adding the filling. Place the filling in a piping bag.


Pipe the ricotta filling into each end of every cannoli. Dip the ends in whatever decoration you'd like. I used desicated coconut and choc chunks. Give a dusting of icing sugar and you're done.


I was really pleased with myself for finally making these! The cannoli tubes worked perfectly. The pastry was crisp and light just like it should be. I thought they looked beautiful ^_^ I wasn't very keen on the ricotta filling. I think I'd like to try making them again with whipped cream inside instead. It was a great first try though!

Comments