Greece - Filo Wrapped Feta with Honey and Sesame Seeds

Back in April 2012 I made Spanakopita for my Greek food. I really enjoyed it so I'm excited to be making more Greek foods.


This popular starter in Greek cuisine comes from the island of Crete. It looks like an interesting mix of salty and sweet so I'm looking forward to trying it. Man, I feel like I'm always looking forward to trying everything. Every time I type that sentence I have a feeling I've used it a billion times. Anyway, on we go :)

Ingredients:

2 blocks feta cheese
2 sheets of filo pastry
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar


This is a nice easy recipe to make. Dry off the feta with paper towels then place it in the middle of a folded in half filo sheet. Wrap the feta up like you're wrapping a present until it's all neat like this.


Do this with both blocks of feta and then cut each block into four triangle shapes. Heat up some oil and shallow fry the triangles on each side until golden brown.





The feta was starting to soften so it was tricky to remove them from the pan in one piece. Do your best to get them out intact and transfer to paper towels to drain. Next you need to make the sauce. Mix the honey and vinegar together and warm up mixing well as you do it. I used the microwave but you could warm it up in a pan too.



Put the feta triangles on a plate and drizzle with the sauce. Finish off with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.



I'm not sure what to think of this dish. I ate plenty of it in an attempt to find out though! The crisp pastry breaks in your mouth to reveal soft, salty feta underneath with a hint of sweet but slighty sour sauce too. It feels like too much cheese but it's very moreish despite that. I think I liked it. The sauce is a lovely pink colour and the sesame seeds give a very nice looking finish to it all.

Comments