Dominica - Chicharrones De Pollo





Right, time to get back to this blogging malarkey! I'm going to ease back in with an easy but delicious looking chicken recipe. Erin worked out it was chicken by translating the name and seemed pleased.

Ingredients:

Chicken
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Flour
(Plus oil for frying - not pictured)


 Mix up everything but the chicken and flour to make a gritty looking brown marinade that smells wonderful.




Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and mix it into the marinade. The recipe said to do this 4-5 hours before you need it (whoops!) but I just did it 1 hour before and it turned out well.


It's suggested that you serve the chicken with fried plantain slices. I'd love to but couldn't find a plantain on short notice. I did find these plantain chips though so we had those instead.


 Place some flour in a shallow dish and cover the chicken pieces in the flour. I wish those pieces of chicken on the right weren't conspiring to look like they belong in a cat litter tray :(


 Heat some oil in a pan and fry the floured chicken pieces until they are browned and cooked through. I didn't do them one at a time I just did that for the picture so I don't look greedy.


 Served with rice and plantain chips.

The chicken was delicious. It had a really different and quite strong flavour that surprised me. Leigh kept saying she wasn't sure about the chicken but carried on eating it until it was gone and Erin asked if there was more. Sadly there wasn't. I wish I had more words to describe the flavour as it's something I haven't tasted before. I haven't though so all you can do is try it yourself, sorry :D

The plantain chips were nice too. Erin enjoyed them as did I. I like banana chips in my muesli usually and these were very similar. I'd like to try plantains sometime though maybe for another country's food one day :)


Comments