Hungary - Hungarian Goulash

Of course, what else could I have chosen. I've surprisingly never had this before so I'm keen to give it a try. I chose a slow cooker version of this classic dish because we're having a hellishly busy week and it's the only realistic way I can see myself making it :)

Ingredients:     
  • 900g diced braising steak
  • 8 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 300ml water, divided
  • 4 tablespoons flour

 Combine the ketchup, worcestershire, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and 350 ml of the water. Mix well.


 Add it to the slow cooker with the beef and cook on Low for 8 hours.


 A bit before it's done mix the flour and remaining water to form a paste then stir into the goulash. Cook on High for the last 20 minutes so it thickens.





Hungarian Goulash is one of the most ridiculously delicious foods I've ever eaten. It's a simple recipe but it's soooo flavourful. Eat it with caution, JD and I are sitting here with no trousers on because we couldn't stop eating it. We had plans to freeze some for another day too! It has a lovely rich, thick gravy that goes really well with mashed potato.  The recipe I used was a very basic one and I'd like to try other varieties of Hungarian Goulash including potatoes and beans.

Comments