Georgia - Khachapuri

Khachapuri is a kind of filled flat bread. The recipe I found has three types of cheese for the filling so it'll be a winner with me!

Ingredients for the dough:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt
Ingredients for the cheese filling:
  • 200g  mozzarella cheese or Georgian Sulguni cheese
  • 150g feta cheese
  • 100g cottage cheese
  • salt and pepper 



Mix the dry ingredients for the dough in a bowl.





Add the yoghurt and mix well.





Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest while you prepare the filling.



Add the cheeses, salt and pepper to a bowl. Or a jug if like me you've used your one bowl for the dough.




Mix them up good!




Take the rested dough and cut it into four pieces. Roll out each piece to make a circle. This didn't work for me so I ended up with a square and a weird undefined shape.



Put a dollop of the cheese mix onto one weird undefined shape (or circle if you're more skilled than me).



Add another circle on top and give it a squish down.



Then use your rolling pin to flatten down the circles. This distributes the cheese all the way around the dough.




 Put them into a frying pan to brown off a bit. The recipe I used made no mention of oil but i used a bit of spray oil to stop them sticking. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side.



When they go browned and speckled they're done, so remove them and place on a plate ready for eating!





I really enjoyed them. The melted cheese inside was lovely and stopped the whole thing from being too dry. They had a pancake-y flavour to them which was weird at first as I'm used to having sweet pancakes not savoury ones. I'd definitely have them again though, they were delicious!









Comments

Post a Comment